Ruth Sermons by Rev. Mike Jones [Revised January 30, 2019]
1. A decision was required- Ruth’s husband died and her mother-in-law was going back to the “Promised Land”. Ruth made a decision that changed her life: And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the LORD do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me. When she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, then she left speaking unto her (Ruth 1:16-18).
2. What Ruth Received when she chose a “new god”
A) A new hometown filled with God’s chosen people
B) The Leadership of the Lord- Her “hap” was
C) The Blessings of God
Favor Given by Boaz
A Husband who was the great grandfather of David.
Two books named for women in the Bible. Ruth tells the story of a gentile woman who produced a Jewish king while Esther tells the story of a Jewish girl who marries a Gentile king.
THE CHARACTERS: Elimelech, Naomi, Mahlon, Chilion, Ruth, Orpah. Now it came to pass in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehemjudah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons. And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Bethlehemjudah. And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there (Ruth 1:1-2).
The men all died leaving 3 widows-And Elimelech Naomi’s husband died; and she was left, and her two sons. And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelled there about ten years (Ruth 1:3-4).
Naomi is around 50 years old (Married, had 2 children, raised until married, lived with wives for ten years). Ruth is probably late twenties.
Naomi decided to return to Bethlehem- Ruth goes with her and Orpah remains in Moab (Life Choices make a difference!). When they arrive they need to eat so Ruth goes out to pick up fallen grain from the harvest.
FIRST: IDENTIFY YOUR NEED- The Rock is not the ripple. The Result is not the reason. Ruth needed bread. Went to where she could find it. Salvation is God changing what we are and why we are thru who He is and what He did.
SECOND: EXPECT YOUR EFFORTS TO PRODUCE POSITIVE RESULTS (Her “hap”)- And she went, and came, and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap was to light on a part of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the kindred of Elimelech (Ruth 2:3). Needed something for her heart as well as her hungry.
RUTH’S RULES OF REDEMPTION- Wash thyself therefore, and anoint thee, and put thy raiment upon thee, and get thee down to the floor: but make not thyself known unto the man, until he shall have done eating and drinking (Ruth 3:3).
1. Wash- Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow (Psalms 51:7). People who run the world shower in the morning, people who make the world run shower at night. Deal with the dirt in your life.
2. Anointing- Not a “do over” a New Birth by the power of the Holy Spirit.
3. Garment- Cover Nakedness, Display beauty, Protect Body- whole armor of God
4. Submit to God’s directions:
a. Last recorded words of Mary, the mother of Jesus- His mother saith unto the servants, Whatsoever he saith unto you, do it (John 2:5).
b. Words of Ruth to Naomi- And she said unto her, All that thou sayest unto me I will do (Ruth 3:5).
Salvation is God changing what we are and why we are thru who He is and what He did.