Ezekiel Sermons by Rev. Mike Jones [Revised February 4, 2019]
Some Quotes from Rev. Glen Johnson’s Thursday Night sermon at SCFWB State Meeting.
Live so that it is easy for me to preach your funeral.
Lots of folks are in church but they are in trouble spiritually because they would rather be conformed to the Church than transformed by the power of God.
Many people do not enjoy Christianity because they have substituted the people of God for God.
You are only as good as you are when you are alone with God.
We always pray best when we are desperate.
You don’t need power to play God you need power to be godly.
Quote from Cyrus Shoffner Devotion on Friday at State. If it is not in the well then it will not come up when you let down the bucket.
Ez. 7:23-25 Eze 7:24 Wherefore I will bring the worst of the heathen, and they shall possess their houses: I will also make the pomp of the strong to cease; and their holy places shall be defiled.
This is the only time the word “Worst” is found in the Scriptures and it almost takes your breath away. God said He would punish Israel with the “worst of the heathen”; not just punish them but do so in the most horrible way God could find!
What is the worst thing that HAS happened to you? What is the worst thing that COULD ever happen to you? Standing over Dad’s Dead Body. Day my wife was assaulted and almost killed. Day Doctor looked at my wife and said “Cancer”.
I. For an Unsaved Person:
Worst Situation: Without God- Eph 2:12 That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world: (Reason we believe in missions).
Worst Sin: Unbelief – Ro 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin
Stops God’s Work: – Mt 13:58 And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief (This was also the “Promised Land Entrance Barrier”).
Stops God’s Forgiveness- Rom 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation
II. For a Christian– When sin in our life causes God to send the Worst against us- 1Sam 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.
Note- Some troubles come to us because we live in a sinful world. “You will live until you die if a tree does not fall on you” Time and chance happen to all men.
Some troubles come to us because we are Christians (Christians of Bhutan)
God loves us too much to let us go down the wrong path without doing everything He can in order to get us to realize the seriousness of our sin.
When life sends it very worst at you what will you do?
Will you “grin and bear it”?
Will you turn to worldly props- drinks, drugs, sinful pleasures?
Will you give up and give in to despair?
Will you hold on to the unchanging hand of God with faith and assurance?
In Ezek 8:5-18 God carries Ezekiel on a trip to Jerusalem and allows him to see the outward sins of the people as well as the inward sins of the Heart- Ezek 8:12 Then said he unto me, Son of man, hast thou seen what the ancients of the house of Israel do in the dark, every man in the chambers of his imagery? For they say, The Lord seeth us not; the Lord hath forsaken the earth.
What a horrible and a tragic thing this was, when God revealed to the Preacher what was Hidden in the Hearts of men. It’s important that we realize that is always the way God looks at men- Remember when Samuel thought all of David’s brothers would be king but God told him to “Look not on the outward appearance for God sees the Heart”.
The fact that God sees the Heart should make all of us aware of the foolishness of our hypocrisy. You can’t fool God by just putting nice clothes on the outside- Jesus said the Pharisees were like beautiful Tombs; pretty on the outside but full of dead men’s bones inside.
Sometimes we wish WE could see what’s inside the hearts of other people; partly from curiosity, partly from concern. The fact is, God HAS given US some Guidelines to determine what hidden in the heart of people. Let’s see if they reveal anything in YOUR heart.
This “Hidden Heart” of man is Revealed in our:
A). WAYS- The LORD saw how great man’s wickedness on the earth had become, and that every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil all the time (Gen 6:5). The wicked imagination of these people was shown in their wicked inclinations. This just goes to prove that a person’s actions on the outside reveal much of what’s going on in the inside. Your conduct over the long run is a mirror of your Character- That’s why a long dating time is a good thing for a couple! That’s why God told the Church to “Lay hands suddenly on no man” (Give a man time to prove himself before you put him into responsibility).
B). WORDS- You brood of vipers, how can you who are evil say anything good? For out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks (Mat 12:34). You talk about what you love! Let me spend a little time listening to your conversation and I can tell you much of what occupies first place in your heart.
Your words not only reveal the idols you love, they reveal the attitudes you harbor. The more you talk the more you expose the covetousness, lust, anger, bitterness, etc in your heart. Loose lips don’t just sink ships, they reveal the Hidden man of the Heart.
C). WEAKNESSES- But it’s not just the SINS of our Hidden Heart that we must contend with. There are also the SICKNESS of the Hidden Heart-
1. The WOMAN WITH THE ISSUE OF BLOOD- Hopeless Heart. This woman had spent all she had and was none bettered. Her sickness was too personal to talk about but, nevertheless, very real. Her only hope was to touch the hem of Jesus’ garment (because it was wrong for her to touch a man with her sickness).
What a Hopeless Heart situation; until she came to Jesus! He put health in her body and hope in her heart. Do YOU have a Hidden Heart Problem that is isolating you from family and friends ?? Jesus cares about you and wants to help you.
A Census taker was asking a colored lady some questions one day when he asked her the number of her children. “They don’t have numbers,” she replied. “They have names”. I’m glad that the Good Shepherd calls his own sheep by name and leads them out (John 10:3).
Don’t come to Church today and leave as one of the Crowd, Touch Jesus.
2. WOMAN WITH THE BEND BACK- Humpback Heart. In Luke 13:11-13, Luke says a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, “Woman , you are set free from your infirmity.” Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.
This spirit of infirmity had handicapped her in body and mind. She had to go around bowed over- seeing only dirt and filth instead of clear blue sky. Did it make her bitter and Complaining (Some people think cursing the mechanic will start the car!)?
Are you crippled by a “Spirit of Infirmity”? Do you want to be sick to avoid facing life? Deep in your heart are you bitter at God or man because life hasn’t treated you fair.
Do not allow this humpback heart to destroy you. Learn to be like a Saint of old, “Lord I know you will never give me anything that you and I can’t handle together”.
3. MAN WITH THE WITHERED HAND- Helpless Hand Heart. Another time he went into the synagogue, and a man with a shriveled hand was there. Some of them were looking for a reason to accuse Jesus, so they watched him closely to see if he would heal him on the Sabbath. Jesus said to the man with the shriveled hand, “Stand up in front of everyone.” Then Jesus asked them, “Which is lawful on the Sabbath: to do good or to do evil, to save life or to kill?” But they remained silent. He looked around at them in anger and, deeply distressed at their stubborn hearts, said to the man, “Stretch out your hand.” He stretched it out, and his hand was completely restored (Mark 3:1-5).
Many people have a withered hand in their heart. This man could think of many things to do but was unable to follow through. In the same way, many people want to change their life or situation but won’t translate their thoughts into actions.
They intend to become more active for the Lord but the WILL never gets past the WORK. Others intend to pay God the tithe He commands but the WILL never gets past the WALLET. Others intend to give up some life binding habit but the WILL never gets past the WANT.
Jesus asks you today to “stretch out your hand” to Him. He’s able to heal your heart and get your life back on track
The Hidden Heart is indeed a Problem. In Fact, Jeremiah says it’s too sick for man to find a cure! –The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? (Jer 17:9).
The only hope for the problems of Hidden Hearts is to stop trying to cover up the problems. Instead, Open the door of your heart and ask Jesus to come in today and give you a NEW HEART.
He’s doing “heart surgery” at our alter right now!
Ezekiel 37:11 Then he said unto me, Son of man, these bones are the whole house of Israel: behold, they say, Our bones are dried, and our hope is lost: we are cut off for our parts. Therefore prophesy and say unto them, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, O my people, I will open your graves, and cause you to come up out of your graves, and bring you into the land of Israel.
While visiting in the Hospital in Charleston recently I decided to go down to the ground floor to see some of the family while I was awaiting an operation to finish. I was on the 7th floor but I always try to use the stairs when possible so I found the stairway and walked down to the ground floor; only to find that the hospital was in the process of remodeling and had put a wall where the bottom floor exit should be. My intentions were good, My directions were good (Followed the “exit” signs and recognized each floor number) but I ended up at a “brick wall”.
I’m not very smart but I am persistent. I walked back up to the second floor, walked the length of the hospital wing, and tried another stairway. This one led me to a door leading into the room I was seeking; but the door was locked and I could not get through. I could see the place I wanted to be but could not get there. Finally, in frustration, I walked back up to the second floor, found the elevator, and rode it down to the first floor.
Sometimes life treats us like that; we “make all the right moves” and yet end up “butting our heads” against brick walls or locked doors. And the Frustration, the failures, and the constant “Fight” to get where we’re going deplete our strength and dims our hope. Some, in final frustration, give up on life and seek to escape into the fantasy world of drugs, drink, TV, or Recreation. Others stand outside the locked doors of life weeping and waiting for the wall to fall down or someone to show them what to do.
Today I want us to see that even if your situation is a “valley of very dry bones” yet you can have help and hope in the Lord. I want us to look first at some extremely difficult problems and then learn some principles that will sustain us in these difficult days.
There are 3 times that Jesus raised the Dead in the Gospels. Each of these times represent a difficult situation that had to be dealt with.
1. The Raising of Jarius’s Daughter (Mk 5:35-43) represents those people who have a problem that has just begun (Jarius’s Daughter had just died). It’s a serious but resent problem that is beyond normal methods to handle- you don’t need medicine, you need a miracle!! [You’ve just found your son or daughter is on drugs, you’ve just learned your husband or wife is having an affair, a major health problem is found, etc.].
2. The Widow of Nain’s son (Luke 7:11-15) represents those whose problems have been recognized long enough to begin to set into a pattern and habit of life- you’re not in the grave yet but you’re on the way. [You thought you could control your temper but now you realize it controls you. You once entertained those evil thoughts but now they enslave you. Depression, Despair, and Doubt have become constant companions instead of occasional visitors.
3. Lazarus was raised after having been dead 4 days (John 11:39) and even his sister thought he was a “stinker”. Sometimes problems have gone past difficult into decay. At first you were able to cover it with pretty flowers and platitudes but now you know that if it’s ever uncovered its smell will reach the entire neighborhood. [Lustful thoughts have become adulterous deeds. The family quarrel now becomes a family fight. The innocent use of office supplies has become an embarrassing embezzlement].
What can you do about these “deadly” difficulties?? How do you handle it when you are put down in a valley of dry bones and told to make the best of it??
FIRST YOU NEED HOPE- God told Ezekiel that he put him in this “Deadly Difficulty” in order to show Israel HOPE. Hope gives you energy and enthusiasm to keep going instead of giving up. Here are 3 things that should give us Hope:
1. God is able- When the 3 Hebrew Children faced the “Deadly Difficulty” of the fiery furnace they bravely proclaimed that God was able to deliver them (Just remember, God didn’t deliver them FROM but He did deliver them THROUGH). Remember God’s Ability.
2. God Cares- Never Doubt in the Dark what God has told you in the light. Mary and Martha thought Jesus had failed them because he delayed in coming to Lazarus but soon they would see a greater glory. Often we are faced with situations in which it appears that God has Forgotten us or Forsaken us but His Love ever overshadows us.
3. God has a Plan- (A) Your part may not allow you to see everything so don’t be discouraged if you can’t understand it all. (B) Don’t try to fit your part of the “puzzle” into someone else’s situation. John the Baptist couldn’t understand the situation from his jail cell but Jesus said Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist! (Matt 11:1-11).
SECOND YOU NEED HELP- The job is too hard for you; You can’t raise the Dead!! You need the “Prophesy of the Word” and the Power of the Wind (Ez 37:4 & 9).
1. The Admonition of the Word is that Change is Possible and Change is NECESSARY in a relationship with Christ. One of the clearest examples of this is Eph 4:28 Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. You are not simply to STOP STEALING; you are to replace this empty space with CHARITY WORK. This represents a change of heart; once you only desired to GET for yourself, now you want to be able to GIVE to others. [This is extremely important. Jesus said if you simply swept the house and left it empty you ended up worse off that at the beginning (Matt 12:43-45)].
2. The Transforming Power of the Spirit is what gives life to “Deadly Difficulties”. Self effort only leaves us tired and discouraged. Spirit Empowerment gives us Victory and Vitality.
Many times the “Deadly Difficulties” of life leave us crying like Paul, O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death? BUT if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. (Rom 7:24, 8:11).
God has a way past your “Brick Wall” today- accept it.
Not the Battle of Armageddon described in Rev 19:11-21 or the Battle with God and Magod described in Rev 20:7-9
1. The identity of the invaders- Russia
A) Geographical Proof- North
B) Historical Proof-Gen 10:2 The sons of Japheth; Gomer, and Magog, and Madai, and Javan, and Tubal, and Meshech, and Tiras.( Settled the Eurpoean Area)
C) Linguistic Proof- Rosh is the root word for Russia. Mesheck is similar to Moscow. Tubal to Tobolsk
Gorbacev’s name is spelled GOGbacev in Russian / He is waiting to take over the Kingdom as soon as Yeltsin falls
ECC is about complete (Takes over in January of 1993, Clinton in 1993)
America is crumpling Economically, Morally, and Politically
Soon it will cease to exert any power
2. Allies in the Invasion:
Persia- Modern Iran
Ethiopia- South African Nations
Libya- North African Nations
Gomer- Germany (Eastern Europe)
3. Reasons for the Invasion
The Riches of Israel 38:11-12
Control the Oil area
4. Results of the Invasion
Russia Totally defeated by God 38:21-23 (Only 1/6 left)
Seven years to burn the war weapons
Seven months to bury the deat 38:12
1. America is not in the Picture. Main powers are Europe (Antichrist), Russia, China)
2. As America collapses we must remain faithful to God and Christian Principles.